Tuesday, August 6, 2013

The A-rod of Writing part 2; or Blogging on Steroids

Alex Rodriguez was closing in on the record for home runs before his suspension, I'm focusing on hits--the number of people who click on this blog. I'm approaching 5,000 hits, but I worry if I should be the one using steroids to boost my numbers.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to how many people read this blog every day.  I provide a link to groups which helps, but I'm not sure which links work and which links are duds. I get comments from film makers, but not actors. There are days when a good people read the blog over night, even though I haven't posted anything new. I've spent a few bucks "promoting" the blog on Facebook and watched the numbers gone down. That's like A-rod spending money on steroids that don't work.

I try to write something almost every day, yet I find that my numbers go UP when I take a break. I suppose that makes me more like a pitcher than a hitter. Then again, pitchers use steroids too.

How would I promote the blog? How would I put a blog on steroids? I suppose I could advertise some more, and provide more and more links to strangers. I have actually talked to a publicist. I could also switch from writing about writing to writing about celebrities. I did that for awhile with my examiner column, but writing Lindsay Lohan scandal does get old after awhile.

For some reason, 5,000 hits is a big deal for my blog. I don't know how many actual distinct people that is. I don't know whether I have a core of 5 people who've read me 1000 times and keep coming back, or 5,000 different people who've read me once and then never linked again. In any event, this blog is probably coming out as an e-book in a few months, and I'm hoping every one will follow me to Amazon.

I don't want to be the A-rod of Amazon, my baseball metaphor is the Amazin 1969 Mets. The title already writes itself-- Amazin on Amazon! It will take more than 5,000 hits however!




No comments:

Post a Comment