Saturday, August 3, 2013

Breaking Better or Better Call Saul

Breaking Bad breaks next weekend.  I've also heard that the producers are moving forward with a spin off based on the sleazy lawyer character of Saul Goodman (Better Call Saul). I pitched my own New Mexico lawyer show to Hollywood, Rattlesnake Lawyer. Is Hollywood ready to rattle at last? Assuming Saul's show does come to pass is that good for me or bad for me?

Hollywood loves imitation. Let's call the show Better Call Saul. I can now go in and say Rattlesnake Lawyer is like "Better Call Saul" with a younger, smarter lawyer. Perhaps I can even pitch it to Vince Gilligan itself as a spin off of a spin off. "Better Call Saul SVU."

On the other hand, if the show is not successful, that could ruin it for me. Hollywood could go back into its "No one gives a damn about a lawyer in New Mexico." I always remember when I was pitching to a producer over the phone and he said those very words. And then he added "Why would anyone stay in New Mexico anyhow. People don't get that." I was looking around at the beautiful sunset at the time in my home that cost a fraction of his bungalow in Santa Monica. I said nothing.

There's always a chance I could get a job on the show. I do have a master's degree in screenwriting and seven published novels to my name. I did write 13 episodes of Arrest and Trial, but that was 13 years ago. Since then, I have represented a few thousand people in court, and done more jury trials then some Saul has episodes in a full season pickup.

Unfortunately someone who was a writer's assistant on a Law and Order show would get a job before me. 

Well, almost 5.000 of you have read this blog. Put the word out there. Better call Jon.

No comments:

Post a Comment