Sunday, August 4, 2013

Breaking Bad's Best Moment

While we're on the subject of Breaking Bad starting next week, I'd like to discuss my favorite  moment of the show, perhaps the best moment of television ever, the death of Gustavo Fring. My goal in life, with all 4,183 of you as my witnesses, is to write a scene that strong.

Go look it up at youtube right now, even if you've seen it before. I'll wait. I am not sure if it's medically accurate, or even consistent with the laws of physics, but the scene is shocking. It made me gasp. Obviously, the director did a "bang-up job" shooting the scene, the actor was astounding, but the show's writers came up with the concept.

Until that scene, my favorite scene in TV was on the first season of Lost. I still hadn't voted myself onto the island a few episodes in. I still didn't get it and didn't know if I wanted to. It was the episode which had flashbacks of Hurley winning the lottery and the famous numbers. Those numbers seemed to have nothing to do with the main island plot, the cast was still dealing with the mysterious hatch. In the final scene of the episode, it is revealed that the numbers are actually etched into the hatch. I was hooked and watched every Lost episode after that. I knew I was in good hands with the show's writing staff at that moment, and for the most part I was write, excuse me, right.

In film, I'm embarrassed to admit that my favorite scene is in the final Batman film, the Dark Knight Rises. I saw it the weekend after the Aurora cinema shooting, and was bawling like a baby.

As for my own writing, I do have my own favorite moments. For years it was page 220 of Volcano Verdict, where Luna is in a Mexican pharmacy and learns the identity of the drug kingpin. Now it's the final chapter of my latest book, Rattlesnake Wedding.

Hopefully, one of you 4,183 folks will go out and write something of your own. As for me, there's no Breaking Bad tonight, so I'll be on the computer trying to write a scene even better.



No comments:

Post a Comment