Thursday, August 8, 2013

Stephen Colbert Punked my Mom!

My goal is as an author is to be interviewed by Stephen Colbert on the Colbert Report. My mom was already interviewed by  him. Hopefully, I will do better than my Mom.

Colbert was a humble interviewer on the Daily Show at the time, a very long time ago. He hadn't fully become his "character" at the time, but perhaps that made him more dangerous. He could get away with a lot more.

As this involved a legal case with pretty high stakes, I won't go into the details. I've searched in vain for a Youtube clip, so I'm using the youtube of my mind. According to my mom, she received a call from a production company to interview her about the case. They actually came to her house. She made them coffee.

According to my mom, Colbert acted perfectly normal before the interview. She thought she would finally get her point across to a national audience. During the interview, she talked about the case, but the course of the interview went off on a tangent. Instead of talking about Constitutional Law, he made her point in various directions and asked her "From over there?" several times. When the interview ended, she had expressed her views, and was confident that she had proved her case to the court of public opinion. She had argued before the New Mexico Supreme Court after all.

The final result was two minutes of my mom pointing and pointing. It wasn't about the case, the court or even the constitution, it was about comedy. I have to admit that it was pretty funny.

My mom would receive a very good settlement for the case, so in some ways she had the last laugh.

I doubt that Colbert even remembers the interview, but I will never forget it. So, Stephen Colbert you have been warned! I intend to be so famous as an author that you just have to interview me in the final segment of the show. It's time for something we call Point-Counter Point.



No comments:

Post a Comment