Sunday, September 1, 2013

Johnny Football, Tim Tebow and the Breaking Bad Car Wash

I had my car washed at the "Breaking Bad" car wash in Albuquerque yesterday, I thought of Tim Tebow and Johnny Football. In the pilot episode of Breaking Bad, Walt is working at the car wash and not having an A1 day. He actually faints right as a pretty woman comes into the scene, a symbol of his threatened masculinity. So does that have to do with Johnny Football and Tim Tebow?

As you know, Tim Tebow was released by the Patriots last week. Assuming he never plays again, could Tim Tebow end up working at the A1 carwash or the equivalent? I want to go out of my way to say that any job is a good job. I've seen car wash jobs turn around the lives of many young men and women. The work is hard, but it's honest work.

There have been professional athletes, football players in particular who've taken too many hits to the head who do not save their money wisely. Walt in Breaking Bad got bought out of a high tech start up and couldn't support a family on a teacher's salary. That's why he worked at the car wash and was motivated to break bad. IN football, an interior lineman could be vacuuming out the interior of Kia if life  if he doesn't work out.

I don't see that happening to Tebow, he's a stirring motivational speaker and by all accounts he practices what he preaches. At the very least, I would buy life insurance from Tim Tebow. You would too.

As for Johnny Manziel, aka Johnny Football, I'm not so sure. He won the Heisman, but he's too short. Even if he gets by Alabama this year, can he really get by Baltimore or God Forbid Green Bay in a few years? That remains to be seen, but if he's still hanging out in night clubs before games, that might not happen. Where will he be at 30? Even if he makes it in the NFL for a few years, one good hit and his career might be over. I certainly wouldn't pay ten dollars for his autograph. I would pay him 8.95 for a car wash, 13.95 for the sealant added of course. Ironically he would be asking for my autograph, on my credit card slip.

The Romans had a saying for it, sic transit gloria. Glory is fleeting. Yo Johnny Football, don't be surprised if you are asking people what fragrance they like to go with their wash. I bet it won't be "new car."

No comments:

Post a Comment