Wednesday, September 11, 2013

September 11

Where were you on September 11, 2001? I was in LAX, about to fly home to ABQ. At that moment, my biggest concern in the world was telling my boss why I was going to be late for work. I had been in LA to give a speech at USC on writing Monday night. At the time, I was working at a law firm, and was supposed to be at the office first thing Tuesday morning. Unfortunately, my flight wouldn't get me back to Albuquerque until ten in the morning, but I figured that I would be able to talk about airline delays and avoid getting in trouble. Being late for work was all I was worried about.

I was in the Southwest terminal when the first plane hit. I noticed that a crowd of people had gathered around the TV and listened to the voice of Peter Jennings. I checked in at my gate and was told that there was a slight delay... There was an audible gasp coming from the TV when the second plane hit. The delay for the plane got even longer. I called work, and it was clear that if I wasn't at my desk hard at work, there would be consequences....

When the first tower went down, I made a decision. I left the terminal and went outside to find the first rental car I could find. It was a Hertz. Thankfully, I had a good credit card and told them I was driving. I tried to call my office but could not make it through.

I did not stop until Barstow, got gas and grabbed a bit to eat. In Barstow, it was impossible to understand the extent of what happened at the Carl's Jr. where I had a burger and three cokes.

Next stop Needles. I wasn't able to get radio along the Interstate, so I was still in the dark. I tried to call the office again, but it was not open. I didn't know whether

I was almost driving off the road in Flagstaff with fatigue, so I finally forced myself to stop in Gallup. I had been on the road for nine hours, but still had two more to go.

When I was paying for my gas and grabbing a red bull in the truck stop off Exit 18 in Gallup, a local kid came in and greeted the clerk, apparently an old buddy. "Why is the Gallup Mall closed?" the local kid asked.

The clerk wasn't sure. They looked at me. I didn't have an answer either. I got back on the road.


No comments:

Post a Comment