Monday, September 23, 2013

Sleeping Bad?

Breaking Bad won the Emmy last night of course. Were you sleeping bad after watching Breaking Bad?  Everybody" loves" the show, but it is perhaps one show that people actually don't enjoy watching. In fact, last night's episode and the season finale will probably cost many people a good night's sleep. I have a splitting head ache this morning as I write about the show--.My goal of course is to be able to write a show like that.

My wife cried when Hank was shot. We both felt ill when Jesse was caught trying to escape the Nazis and then had to watch his girlfriend get shot by Todd. We were screaming at the small scene. By the end of the show, neither of us were smiling. I had nightmares last night and tossed and turned worried about Walt's fate. Needless to say, we both are going to watch again next week.

Why does the show affect us so much? On a global level, the writing and the acting are so far above the norm that it sucks you in. The camera literally transports you to over the characters' shoulders, and inside their heads and most of all inside their hearts. These are real people caught in extraordinary circumstances and we can relate to them. We are there with them.

On a "local" level, it feels even realer to us because we live in Albuquerque. Todd met Lydia at the Grove restaurant and we've even there, and even sat at the tables where the conversation took place. On note, there is no table service at the Grove, but that is a quibble. I did an early morning run past the Grove when they were filming that scene.  Instead of making it feel artificial, I felt like I was at the table with them.

I used to watch the Simpsons on Sunday nights, and then Celebrity Apprentice. I never got physically ill watching the Simpsons. Celebrity Apprentice however, that's another story. I get ill just thinking about that.

So after next week, I don't know if I can go back to watching the Simpsons. Then again, I've heard Family Guy can get you make you lose sleep as well.

4 comments:

  1. I guess the attraction BREAKING BAD has for me is that I'm fascinated by how easily and quickly good people can go bad. One thing that never fails to irk me is how people are so quick to say "I could never do that!" or "I could never imagine doing something like that!" when the truth of the matter is that none of us know what we'll do when our backs are pushed right up against the wall. I think one reason that BREAKING BAD makes so many people uncomfortable is because they can imagine themselves going as off the rails as Walter White if they were in that same situation.

    I also appreciate the amazing writing. Where so many TV shows are predictable pap, there is absolutely way to figure out how any episode of BREAKING BAD is going to end or which way the plot will go. Each and every episode of BREAKING BAD surprised me and there are extremely few TV shows I can say that about. THE SHIELD and THE WIRE are the closest I can think of.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And to think I couldn't sleep after the last episode of M*A*S*H. Thanks for revealing the end since it's over and done with. I don't think I'll watch BB ever. But I like you commenting on it.

    ReplyDelete