Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Ted Cruz, Obamacare and my speech in Silver City

Senator Ted Cruz is doing a "filibuster" against Obamacare on the Senate floor even as I write this. There's a chance he will still be speaking when I give a speech of my own on at the Silver City (New Mexico) Public Library this Saturday at 2 PM. My speech should be a little bit shorter and is about writing mystery novels. Cruz read a passage from Dr. Seuss  during one of his seventeen hours and counting. That actually doesn't sound like a bad idea.

The most effective speech I ever heard was ONE sentence long. It was the closing argument in an attempted murder trial and it was given by an attorney friend of mine. The case involved whether the defendant pointed a gun at someone and said "I'm going to kill you," then fired, but missed. That sure sounds like attempted murder to me. The Defense argument was that the Defendant didn't even know he had a gun in his belt, and tripped and when he grabbed the gun, it accidentally discharged.  The prosecutor said 'We'll let the Defense go first and show you the Defendant's intent." The prosecutor had a powerpoint presentation waiting to go illustrating all the witness statements demonstrating intent.

The Defense lawyer said "If they don't think they have a case, they must not have a case. I waive closing argument." Because the Defense didn't say anything, the prosecution had nothing to rebut. The case went to the jury and there was a not guilty verdict within ten minutes.

I actually saw this occur, so I put it in my first novel, Rattlesnake Lawyer. Incidentally the main character in my next two novels was named Luna Cruz. No relation as far as I know.

Polonious in Hamlet, said that brevity is the soul of wit. I'm sure you can think of something to rhyme with the word "wit" when brevity does not occur.

If you happen to be near the Silver City library at 2 PM on Saturday, please drop by. I won't be as short as the lawyer in the attempted murder case, but I will be shorter than Senator Ted Cruz. I do promise to quote Dr. Seuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment