Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Kickoff to Writing

Fall officially starts with Baltimore playing at Denver on Thursday. The football season is the start of the writing season for me. Like Peyton Manning and Joe Flacco: summer has felt like a pre-season, and I'm ready to go out and put on the pads and hit for real. How about you?

Unlike RG3, I was extremely productive this summer, as I put the final touches on the Laws & Loves collection. That wasn't really writing, that was mostly re-rewriting as I found stories from twenty years ago to put on the roster. Like veteran football players, some stories held up, some didn't. One ailing story used the phrase "just a tad" as if it was the hip catch phrase. "Just a tad" was the first thing to get cut. My old stories made reference to films, songs and actors I had never heard off. Who is Maria Conchita Alonso and why did I refer to her on page 27? Sorry Maria, give me you the key to your locker and your playbook.

The 49ers used to script the first ten plays of the game. I'm scripting my writing plans this Fall. I'm "executive producer" of the Southwest Writer's anthology. That is like a Bowl Game for me, even if it is coming out in November. I've got several big speaking gigs coming up to promote my books. This is like a "contract negotiation year" for me. I've got to make several major speaking gigs coming up. I also hear about the New Mexico book of the year awards this Fall.

The internet has changed everything, much like the pistol formation or the wildcat. I can now upload some old stuff in a matter of minutes. This blog might become a book before the end of the season.

As for my next novel, I don't know. I might start something during National Novel Writing Month, but I will probably wait until after Thanksgiving to begin in earnest. I originally planned to set a Rattlesnake Lawyer book in Hawaii-- Rattlesnake Luau anyone? Since I'm not going to Hawaii anytime soon, I don't see that happening.

By Super Bowl Sunday, I hope to have a few things published and another manuscript done and to avoid the injured reserve list.

No comments:

Post a Comment