Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Hey Kids, Let's Put on a Show!

Miley Cyrus, Jon Stewart and Barack Obama have NOT contributed to the Southwest Writer's anthology book project, but some big names have. You'll have to wait for November 15 to find out who they are. This project started as a fundraiser to raise money for Southwest Writers, a group that promotes good writing all over the Southwest. I feel the project going wayyyy  beyond that. In a few weeks, many first time writers will see their works in print for the first time, right next to the words of some more established authors. Careers will be launched. Hopefully other readers will be inspired to write their own works as well.

I had hoped a few dozen people will download the book, now I think we can sell in the hundreds if not thousands.

It all started at a recent meeting of Southwest Writers, when the President of the group talked about damage from flooding. I thought back to a million movies and TV shows where the protagonists said "Hey Kids, let's put on a show." I stood up and was about to say "Let's put on a show" . . .however, as I looked around, I did not see a Miley Cyrus who could sing or dance out there, and I realized something, we were writers. Writers write.

Peggy Herrington and Patrica Woods are doing much of the heavy lifting. The most difficult task comes now, we will have to reject some outstanding pieces. I contributed two potential stories, and I don't know if they're good enough. I'm leaving that decision to my co-editors.

I will be blogging about the book a few more times before November 15. Thanks in advance for your incredible support.


No comments:

Post a Comment