Monday, September 30, 2013

Breaking Bad RIP

Breaking Bad RIP. Spoiler Spoiler Spoiler. Did you cry?

------

Did you cry when Walter White died at the end of Breaking Bad? I didn't. Probably because of all the internet predictions. With the exception of him giving money to the Schwartz family to give to his son, most of the predictions were right on. Spoiler alert, spoiler alert, spoiler alert.

Overall, I liked the final episode. It spent a little too much time at the Schwartz mansion, and not enough providing closure with the other characters, but I did like the grim inevitability of the it. Walt's grim facade reminded me of Clint Eastwood at the end of Gran Torino where he prepared to say good bye. I did like the cameo out of nowhere by Badger and Skinny Pete. I did like him bearing the Nazis with a spring gun and Jesse riding off into the night. The final show of Walt dead at the floor of the meth lab was also very moving. . .

But I didn't cry. Perhaps because we had people over and I was thinking about clearing the dishes, and wondering about the score of the Patriots-Falcons game. I wanted to be enveloped in the ending, but I was thinking about life too much. I think I had more of an emotional reaction when Hank died.

The death of Gus Fring is still one of the best scenes that I have ever watched on television. I nearly vomited when Jesse's girlfriend was shot and had actual nightmares about that, and about Jesse being trapped.

Yet, I didn't cry when Walter White died.

I had a tear at the ending of Lost for some reason as Jack died. Hell, I shed a tear at the end of Battlestar Galactica...


 I watched them alone.

1 comment:

  1. The biggest problem in both Breaking Bad and Weeds, is how do you keep the government from seizing all the money you're risking your life and even killing people for?
    I was rooting for Jesse pulling the trigger, but he was as big a pain in the ass to Walt as ever, but then what is a foil for?

    ReplyDelete