Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Pussycat Writer

Since I got married, I made a major shift--from cat person to dog person. Would I become a pussycat writer?

As you know, I used to wake up well before at dawn, chug a Starbucks Doubleshot espresso can and begin my first paragraph before the last drop of fluid was down my throat. Occasionally I spilled a drop, perhaps I spilled a few words here and there. I was cat-atonic. Now, when I wake up I have to feed the cats first. Has that extra moment of reflection helped my writing? As I scoop the IAMS cat food and pour the water into silver bowls, I do tend to self-edit a little more. However, I am a hundred words less productive as I write five minutes less a day. If writers like cats have nine lives, I'm spending one life feeding the cats. That might be a good thing.

One cat, Oscar ignores me in the morning, but Miko the black cat watches me while I write. He will sometimes sit and stare. I wonder if he is reading my thoughts telepathically and transferring them to the feline version of the NSA.

I am definitely the cat scratch writer. Miko is not always passive. He has taken to pawing me with his sharp claws, usually when I am in the midst of an intense action or romantic scene. Is he making a commentary on my writing, or is he just hungry for treats? My gut instinct is that he wants treats, but perhaps he just wants to play because he senses it might cheer me up. Cats do read facial expressions, do I make funny faces when I type?

Curiosity killed the cat, but curiosity might be causing the cat to become a writer of his own. When I finish typing, Miko has a tendency to jump on my keyboard. There might be a logical explanation for that. I scooped out his food with my hands and then used the same hands to type. The keyboard literally might smell like cat food. On the other hand, perhaps Miko is expressing his own creativity in his own way. He typed out "fdadfsha" one time. I have no idea if that stands for something. Miko also might be playing editor. He once jumped up and managed to delete a document that I forgot to save. Talk about a cat-astrophe.

I had to start over again. It was much better the second time.

Miko does know one sentence in English now. "Get off of there!"

All in all, I do like being a pussycat writer.
Meow Meow Meow Meow...

No comments:

Post a Comment