Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Script Slease

Someone stole a Breaking Bad script out of Brian Cranston's car. As of this morning, the script has not been recovered. I wonder if it was the same person who stole one of my books out of my car a few years ago. That book was never recovered either.  Perhaps there's a "fence" who sells hot scripts and books out of his car trunk.

Someone once bragged to me that they created the idea for the "golden snitch" in Harry Potter, which has something to do with the game of quidditch. The man felt that somehow Harry Potter (he said Harry Potter, not JK Rowling, remember) was magically able to read his mind and come up with the snitch. I didn't take the case, and I don't know anyone who did. JK Rowling did copyright all her material, so a snitch in time, saved nine lawsuits.

When I give lectures, people always ask what will happen if someone steals their script or manuscript. Unless, it's a script of a show in production, that's about to go off production, there isn't much value in it on the resale market. I once left a script at a Starbucks. When I went back the next day, it was still lying on the table covered with coffee stains.

As of right now, there is no word of any darkly comic New Mexico legal thrillers that are remotely based on anything I've written..

There is however a market for scripts of upcoming films. I must admit that yes, I would pay to see the script for the new Star Trek or Star Wars script, no questions asked.

Where's that guy selling scripts out of his trunk when you need him?

No comments:

Post a Comment