Thursday, March 28, 2013

Lost in the Amazon

I should be famous already, instead we got lost in the amazon. My amazon.com book launch for Rattlesnake Wedding on March 19 had been marked on my calendar for months. I told all my friends, all my enemies, even the woman who works at the bank parking lot. I had a vision of a handful of people ordering my book, and then telling the world. I was going to be a millionaire by the afternoon.

When the big day came, Amazon at first said the book would take two to three weeks to ship. Two to three weeks? I wanted to be famous in two to three hours. Somebody must have been willing to order anyway because a few hours later the book was listed as "temporarily out of stock." No one wants to order a book that is temporarily out of stock.

Now a few weeks later, the book is still temporarily out of stock. The good news is that the books will be available for my premiere signing this Saturday at Barnes and Noble in Coronado Center WILL go on. A few other places will have books, but the book sold out of the warehouse. I had to cancel a potential signing in Taos on the last day of the ski season so the store couldn't get the books

I hate to use the obvious metaphor, my book launch was like giving birth, but we will have to wait a few weeks longer.

I would like to think that this is a positive. People want what they can't have. Since people can't order the book anywhere in the world, they will come to the signing. When the book is finally available, hopefully the pent up demand will push the book to a record.

So stay tuned. Temporarily doesn't last forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment