Wednesday, June 5, 2013

Rattlesnake Blogger

This month, I will find out if this blog is in the top twenty of the Southwest Writer's Contest non-fiction book proposal category. If I don't make it, should I stop blogging?

I have won in this category before, and last year I took second. I have put those two entries into a book, but I haven't tried to publish it. If I win this year, there's a real chance that the third time is the charm, and this silly little blog could be transformed into a commercially viable project. As they say in the movies, this time it's personal!

I took the first three months of entries--fifty pages worth-- and submitted them to the contest. I called my entry "Rattlesnake Blogger." If you're a regular reader of this blog, well, it is what it is.

I have no idea what the other entries are in the non-fiction category. I have this vision of a twenty-first century Isaac Newton submitting fifty pages on gravity in Times New Roman twelve point type. Perhaps Hilary Clinton is submitting her revised health care plan for her possible 2016 campaign, and it's now less than five thousand well-written words along with a query letter.

I am not just scared of famous people submitting. I had a nightmare that the nice retired teacher who sits in the back of the Southwest Writer's meetings, has her exclusive memoir about escaping from North Korea and her suggestions for ending the civil war in Syria in the proposed chapter outline.

Then again, I could lose out to "The Truth about Mold."

Rattlesnake Blogger can't compete with those proposals of course.  I don't expect to win, but making the top twenty is crucial to me. There can't be twenty book proposals better than mine. Then again, maybe there are. . .

We should know by the end of the month...

1 comment:

  1. Jon, you can't lose when you do a blog. Tho it's not a place someone hopes to win an award or become famous and make money (tho it's good to keep in touch with your fan base or potential readers.) Check your stats or how many hits. I was despondent that I couldn't get my friends and relatives to read my blogs and I have over 20 thousand hits anyway. I believe blogging is primarily for the blogger not for an audience. And now that you're a pro, I'd like to see you as a judge on the SWW contest. You and I both know you'll keep winning, but put your time an talent into helping other writers.Keep the blog but do concentrate on your other writing.

    ReplyDelete