Sunday, June 2, 2013

Hey kids, let's put on a show!

Remember the movie where the gang put on a show to save someone or something? That plot is as old as time itself. Well, I'm going to help put on a show for Southwest Writers, only this time the show will be an e-book.

Southwest Writers had a flood in their building and needs three thousand dollars fast. In the Blues Brothers, Dan Ackroyd and John Belushi got every old bluesman they could find to put on a concert to save their old school. Well, I don't know any old bluesmen. Besides, while a guy like Cab Calloway is a musical genius, the song he performed in the film, Minnie the Moocher, is not exactly the best example of writing with its refrain of Heidi Heidi Heidi Ho.

I was thinking of having a massive book signing, a sort of trade show, but after the Southwest Book Fiesta, it's clear that a show is a no go. My idea is simple--an e-book can be 60,000 to 90,000 words or so. We get thirty people to donate 2,000 words or 2,000 people to donate 30 words. We then put those words together into one manuscript, upload it to amazon. and sell the book for 2.99. That price point allows us to keep seventy percent of the profits. Every person who gets published will probably have hundred friends with 2.99 left on their debit cards and ....well, I am better at English then math.

I feel a special debt to Southwest Writers. I've spoken there several times, and one of my first book signings was at the SWW convention. A few best selling authors got their start there as well. They've had some hard times due to the flood, and this will be my way of giving something back. Peggy Herrington, the associate editor, has also volunteered to help out.

So, if you're a member of Southwest Writers, or want to be one. Get in touch with me and let's do this.

Then again, is Cab Calloway still alive? Heidi Heidi Heidi Ho would make a great way to end a show!

No comments:

Post a Comment