Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Can the NSA steal my story?

The National Security Administration DOES presently have the capability to reach into your computer and steal your manuscript and/or script and sell it to China. Should you be worried?
Probably not . . .
But then again . . .

I wrote a science fiction script over twenty years ago where people communicated with electronic notepads similar to iPads. Seriously.  Is it possible that Steve Jobs had the government to troll through the data of hundreds of millions of Americans to find "cool" ideas?
Probably not . . .
But then again . . .

In the early seventies, I had a hand-written manuscript called "Star War," yes Star War, that came out before George Lucas and Star Wars. Seriously. (I still have it, it's in a notebook in my trunk) The Government probably did not have the capability to steal things back then, however, I did mention the title to my Dad who was sold insurance. He did insure someone with connections to the entertainment industry who might have known George Lucas. Could my Dad's client say my insurance agent's kid has a cool title for a science fiction project to George Lucas and then George Lucas say "Hmmm... that kid has a great title for an epic science fiction series, I think I will steal it?"
Probably not . . .
But then again . .

When I was in ninth grade at Albuquerque Academy, I was running track and we were doing interval training on a windy Tuesday. Our coach said something like "Those hundred yards dashes aren't going to magically run themselves," and I thought "Wow wouldn't if be cool if we could do magic in school?" Seriously. Could JK Rowling have read my mind and come up with Harry Potter?
Well, that one's a reach . . .

I am currently writing a science fiction manuscript where the judicial system is run by computers that can monitor everyone and make decisions based on programming rather than on humanity. Will the government steal that idea?
Maybe it already has . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment