Wednesday, June 19, 2013

New Mexico True?

Yesterday, I entered the New Mexico True contest. It is a contest for people to tell true stories about New Mexico to promote tourism in the state. As a published author, am I a ringer? Should I feel bad if I don't win?

I was hoping that I could just plop in an old story, but unfortunately I had to type it all on the page in the little boxes provided. I'm someone who writes outside the box in so many ways. It was hard to edit as well, no spell check, or double spacing. Worse, I couldn't send it away to my editor to make sure I hadn't used the same word over and over again.

I talked about our recent trip to northern New Mexico and I talked about our trip around the grounds of Los Alamos National Labs. In these days of national security, did I just put myself on an NSA watch list?

That might be a good thing, every hit counts, right?

A picture is worth a thousand words, well I submitted six pictures. One picture is a picture of me standing by Georgia O'Keeffe's home, a cow skull in the background.  That's a picture that's as New Mexico as it gets, right? That might as well be a billboard for New Mexico right there. Unfortunately, I'm wearing a t-shirt for Monument Valley which is in UTAH. My regular readers know that I have made this mistake before when I confused Monument Valley with Shiprock on the cover of La Bajada Lawyer.

Speaking of pictures, I did have a brilliant idea which I put in the entry. I suggested a New Mexico "app" which would tell people if they are near the setting for a famous painting or photograph. That might end up being used, even if the entry isn't that good.

I am worried that I will be New Mexico blue as opposed to New Mexico true.

No comments:

Post a Comment