Sunday, October 20, 2013

A Nice Day for a White Funeral: RIP Walter White

Yesterday was the funeral of fictional Walter White at a real cemetery. I have mixed feelings about the ceremony. I visit my father's grave a few times a year at his cemetery in Albuquerque. Had a fake ceremony been going on while I was spending time at my father's grave, I certainly would have had some issues with it. But then again ...

The ceremony did make national news and did raise money for a good cause, people who are ravaged by the very drugs that Walt made. It is unknown whether Walt's gravestone will stay on the grounds. Will it cause people to come to the cemetery? And the big question-- will the upkeep of the cemetery be aided or hindered by the masses of people who come by? If mobs of people are leaving trash, and the cemetery staff is spending time cleaning that trash up instead of tending to the real graves ....

But then again...

I felt a real loss when Walter White died. There have been a handful of other moments in my viewing years that have had an emotional impact like the final episode. In the old show, Hill Street Blues, one character appeared to commit suicide and I cried. I later met the actor who played the character. He didn't seem to remember the scene.  I did have a tear when during Lost, Jack died and closed his eyes at the end. Then again, Matt Fox has been such a screw up since then, I don't really care anymore. ..

Breaking Bad was a plus for Albuquerque. I will miss it. Hopefully it will be the start of something big. Perhaps some young film student came to the event, or will come to the grave site, and be inspired to shoot something here....

However, hopefully if they are shooting at a ceremony it won't be while I am visiting my Dad's grave...

http://www.amazon.com/Laws-Loves-Tales-Rattlesnake-Lawyer-ebook/dp/B00FR14KVW#!

No comments:

Post a Comment