Friday, February 22, 2013

Rewrite for your Right to Party!

The Beastie Boys implored their listeners to fight for their right to party. I had thought that I could write my way to a big book contract party after a single draft of my novel. Unfortunately, I need to be doing some serious rewriting before the party begins. I had been bragging about writing a novel in the span of a few months, and then I went back and read what I wrote. No need to brag any more. Let's just say, I am very glad that I did not send the book out.

Mario Puzo, the author of The Godfather, supposedly said "The secret to writing is rewriting." Well, my book has made me an offer I can't refuse, I better rewrite it in secret.

Speaking of rewriting, I just had to rewrite this blog as I was calling it re-wrting.

I noticed that I use the word notice. I noticed that I used the word noticed noticeably more than necessary. "As in "he noticed."  I went through every time I used the word and took it out just on general principal. My book is 87,000 words already, the word "noticed" is probably 200 of those. I also realized that I used the word "realized."

It's time to stop realizing and noticing and start living.

In other books, I usually use the word "I" as if I was being paid by the word, and I wanted to get the most bang for the buck. Thankfully, in this project, I'm writing in the third person. Still whenever three people are in the scene, I have to make sure that we know who is who.

My characters also need to stop laughing so much. Rather than "he said," characters tend to be in sentences, when they say "he laughed." Usually, the sentence isn't particularly funny.

There will be a party of intergalactic proportions when this book is done and sold. Until then, it's back to a party on the computer.





No comments:

Post a Comment