Monday, February 25, 2013

And the Oscar Goes to...Me?

I watched the Oscars last night. I've actually held an Oscar in my hand a few years back when I was in film school. I was attending a party at someone's house. They are heavier than you expect. As I am no longer writing screenplays, it's unlikely that I will win one, but a man can dream, can't he?

As you know, nearly a thousand people downloaded my novel, Rattlesnake Lawyer, for free last month, Perhaps one of those people is indeed a good screenwriter, who does indeed have good connections. Maybe one of those thousand people is a producer looking for new material. New Mexico is now back on track with film production, so maybe this producer puts it on the fast track.

If I get attached as a producer myself, I would get to go up to podium at least. Hell, when I was in film school, I had a crush on a fellow student who directed a film where the actress won the award. She was thanked up on stage. I would settle for a good thank you!

I've told you about my cousin who won an Emmy for writing. He looks exactly like me, but it ten years younger and ten pounds thinner. The genes are there. People have heard me give a lecture and have gone on to win writing awards, and that's something too.

I've won ONE award in my life. Best non-fiction book proposal from Southwest Writers. Last year, I was up for the same award again and took second. That was the worst dinner of my life, but that's another story. In national awards, La Bajada Lawyer took a second place too. I'm not exactly Susan Lucci, who was nominated and never won.

Am I up at dawn, writing to get an award? Of course not. Yet, it is a fun motivator before I sip my morning coffee. At the end of the morning, just getting a few good pages done is job satisfaction.

Still...A man can dream, can't he? 

No comments:

Post a Comment