Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Fiery Book Fiesta

On Friday, May 10, I will be speaking at the Southwest Book Fiesta, which was organized by the people who brought you the Fiery Foods show. As you know, I love the Fiery Foods show, it is a tradition of mine to go from booth to booth and sample hot sauces from all over the world. I make it a point to drink plenty of water. I'm just as excited about the Book Fiesta and I can't help but imagine the similarities between books and sauces.

Someone specializes in sauces is a saucier, right? Sauciers and authors are noble professions. Cooking at its purest is a culinary art, so a saucier is a culinary artist. Still, in essence the Fiery Foods show is a trade show. On the first day, it's all about sales. Writing comes from similar noble beginning. Still, if Shakespeare was alive today, he'd certainly have a booth.

Many of the sauciers pride themselves on having unpleasant names. One sauce was called Widowmaker, another is Green Hell. It goes without saying that books often do the same. My novel, Lawyer Geisha Pink certainly has an unpleasant name. La Bajada Lawyer is not much better.

The sauciers brag about the Scovie scale which measures heat. Writers brag about their books ranking on amazon.com, and how many five star reviews they can get.

The saucier brags about the physical pain that his product can bring. "Watch for it, one said, this stuff will creep up on you," one saucier told me as he gave me a spoonful. I had a momentary feeling of tasting honey, and then I felt sheer fire on my tongue. The aftertaste was brutal I gulped down a water.

Unfortunately, some of my writing produces the same effect, and that doesn't even talk about the aftertaste.

So, I'm looking forward to the Southwest Book Fiesta. Don't forget to drink plenty of water!

No comments:

Post a Comment