Tuesday, December 3, 2013

The Next Hunger Games: How to Turn Books into Films

I saw the Hunger Games, Catching Fire at ABQ's Century Rio theaters over the weekend without reading the book. Instead of going back and reading the book, I read the Entertainment Weekly column on the differences between book and film. Apparently one scene in the film featured Finnick, instead of Enobria. I had no idea who Enobria was.

The author of the article thought it was a good change. I wonder what the author of the Hunger Games thought...

I'm currently talking with several film makers about turning my own novels into films and I realize that they are two different media. I went to Film School, so I tend to write my novels like screenplays already--short scenes, three act structure, character arcs etc... But even then, the printed page is always different from what's up on the screen.

I remember when my book Rattlesnake Lawyer was still in manuscript, I literally tried to cut and paste the word perfect manuscript into some screenplay software, line by line. I was hoping that I could turn book into film over the afternoon. Big mistake.  The resulting page looked liked it had been typed by one of the mutant baboons in the arena in the Hunger Games w

I did have one scene from my novel La Bajada Lawyer turned into a "staged reading." I had a fairly famous B movie actress and her boyfriend, an actor read a scene and then posted it on youtube.  Other than some technical difficulties with sound, I liked the results with one big caveat...the scene was way too long. It had to be broken into two parts for Youtube, a part one and a part two. It wasn't as long as the Hunger Games, but it sure felt that way.

So I've resigned myself to novels and blogs for the moment. My screenplay writing days are over. However you are more than welcome to write a screenplay based on my work and we can sell it together. I won't even care if Finnick is there instead of Enobria.

No comments:

Post a Comment