Monday, December 2, 2013

Cyber Monday Hyper Monday

Today is Cyber Monday. Today is the day to do all your online shopping and make Jeff Bezos rich. The re is an old joke about shopping in the mall-- You spend money you don't have to buy things to don't want to impress people you don't like. Cyber Monday is like that I suppose, but you don't have to worry about finding parking and walking half a mile on a windy day.

As the author of several e-books, I'm in favor of Cyber Monday. I am still learning how to promote. I've already posted links in a few facebook ebook sites. A million other authors have the same strategy. When I did book signings over the holidays, it usually was just me as the author in the store. With Cyber Monday, it's like being mugged in the parking lot by authors and then mugged at the cash register.

In the years to come, I'm sure we'll develop a better internet promotion strategy. Until now, we are all one step away from spamming.

There is one thing that is stressful about Cyber Monday, privacy. Ironically you are being watched more closely when you are home along then when you are in a crowded mall parking lot. (I've had my car broken in at a crowded mall parking lot, so have you). We've all read how easy it is to steal vital information over the net. Now that we are hearing about the NSA spying, I can easily see an NSA agent checking out my book selections. Hopefully he will be so impressed with my books that he will order them for the people on his own book list.

Will Cyber Monday replace Black Friday? I don't know. There is something about going to a mall, and actually touching the merchandise as opposed to looking at a little blip on a screen that is sitting in a warehouse in Seattle.

So happy Cyber Monday. If you have to click, check out Rattlesnake Lawyer, Rattlesnake Wedding and all my other books and ebooks. You don't even have to leave your desk...

No comments:

Post a Comment