Saturday, August 24, 2013

Red Wedding, Rattlesnake Wedding

I'm signing Rattlesnake Wedding at Barnes and Noble today, head to head against George Martin of Game of Thrones fame who will be signing at the Marriott Hotel less than a mile away. Needless to say, George Martin will win. He will sell hundreds if not thousands of books from one to three, while I will be happy to sell dozens at best.  I doubt that George Martin even knows who I am.

There are some similarities in our works, there is the infamous "red wedding" scene in his book where everyone dies at a wedding. I have a similar scene in Rattlesnake Wedding. My scene is a lot less red. I try to have strong female characters in my books just like he has in his books.

A major difference between us is that his fans are begging him to write faster, while mine are hoping that I will slow down.

I haven't made it through Game of Thrones, but Martin has inspired me to keep writing. My goal is to have a series on cable. Obviously Hollywood is looking for the next Game of Thrones. Judges sit on the bench of course-- Game of Benches anyone?

How about  Game of Rattlesnakes?

I have toyed with the idea of having a legal thriller set in Westeros or some medieval world. I did take a class on English legal history in Law School so I can probably come up with a good idea or two. I also read the Lord of the Rings and the Once and Future King (the stories about King Arthur) when I was younger. However, the more I think about it, I don't really know a broadsword from a branding iron.

Will anyone come to both signings? There is actually that possibility. Assuming that Martin sells out of one of his books, some folks might drive the mile down Louisiana Boulevard to pick up one of his books, get it signed and then go back to get it signed. They will encounter me sitting in the front of Barnes and Noble, and might actually have a dollar or two to spare. We'll have to wait and see.

Who knows? Perhaps in a few years, if Martin doesn't finish his next book and I do get a TV deal, I will be the one at the Marriott. George Martin, I'm coming for you!

No comments:

Post a Comment