Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Coffee or not to be

To be or not to be? How about coffee or not to be? It's time to inject some blood into my caffeine stream, or is it the other way around? I have no idea what I'm going to write today. Normally, I have a blog idea fully formed before I sit down at the keyboard, Sometimes have the complete structure set in my head while waiting for the coffee to brew.

Today is different. If my writing is like coffee, today I am using too few scoops to brew too many cups.

I need coffee to power me through my morning. I am very busy at my day job as a lawyer, so my brain is concentrating on motions to suppress as opposed to emotional content. I am revising yet another manuscript, a western this time and my brain matter is pouring into the manuscript as opposed to a blog. Even emails are draining me today. A few of my friends have broken off their relationships, and I have to write them supportive messages. Emails are not as easy.

Each paragraph of a motion, each edit of a manuscript and each each email seem to require a couple of coffee beans to get through and there are only so many to go around.

I don't recommend Red Bull in the morning unless you are writing action sequences set on a rolling locomotive.

Done with my first cup, I sip another. I am surprised that Starbucks hasn't used famous writers to promote their product. Then again, Stephanie Meyer, the author of Twilight is a Mormon, and presumably did not drink a single cup. JK Rowling wrote Harry Potter in a cafe. I wonder what she was drinking. I'm betting on tea.

Hunter S Thompson famously switched between black cups of coffee and Jack Daniels. If you see early interviews with him, it worked. His brain was moving a million miles a minute. If you see later interviews, his brain was revving in a pothole.

Either the coffee or the Jack had stopped working.

This cup of coffe is empty, so it's time to finish this blog up for the day. Coffee or not to be, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment